Monday

RACE OF THE SEASON SO FAR...

F1 is now in its summer break and I know it's a trying time for all of us fans. The next race that awaits us is the irreplaceable, exciting (and every other superlative you can think of) Spa! However, there is still a long wait before we reach Spa with the race weekend beginning on the 31st August. I don't know why the FIA/ FOM/ Bernie Ecclestone do this to us!

We have enjoyed a grand total of eleven Grands Prix so far and, as you know, 2012 has not failed in providing thrill after thrill and surprise after surprise. The last time I did this feature I only had a few races to pick from meaning my decision was a fairly easy one to make. F1 then went on to deliver 7 different winners from the first 7 races and plenty of other amazing moments. The season has not been free of controversy and gossip but then what season has? One of the things that sets F1 apart from other sports is how important the non-sporting environment is to the fans, the drivers, the media and the public. And now we're in the summer break that doesn't mean the gossip will stop! As drivers begin contract negotiations and so on I'm sure the rumour mill will still be as active as ever. 

So now the moment you have all been waiting for; just what is my personal race of the season so far? I'm going to have to go with, rather shockingly I admit, the European Grand Prix in Valencia. It was a race so exciting and full of action and things to talk about that I actually had a second part to my race review! It is quite hard to describe why a race excites you so much but you all probably watched it, and if not read my review, so you'll know why Valencia this year was a far cry from Valencia's past. I was even struggling to put my excitement into words in the review and this was my opening sentence; "The race finished a couple of hours ago now but I'm still in a state of shock as to how incredible it was!" 


Fernando Alonso won the Grand Prix after a shock retirement for Sebastian Vettel. This means Vettel lost a total of 32 points in the Championship; the figure is 32 because Vettel would have an extra 25 and Alonso would have a further seven less! It is clear that this Grand Prix will be one with lasting effects for the championship. Had Vettel's engine not failed on him he would be very much right on Alonso's tails in the standings and life would not be quite as relaxed as it currently is for the Spaniard. 

This race was also the one with probably the most controversial Pastor Maldonado-related incident of the season so far; his infamous clash with Lewis Hamilton towards the closing stages of the race. This of course attracted many strong opinions but if you look at it from a neutral view, which can be hard I know, you'll be thinking "my God, that upped the excitement and shock factor by about 10" or something along those lines...


I just don't think that Valencia has yet been topped by the other races we've had! Some have come close like Silverstone, of course, and Canada but it definitely had to be my pick! So tell me, do you agree? Is Valencia also your race of the season so far? Or do you think I'm completely mad for picking a race that many think should be taken off the calendar? I want to know your opinions so please do comment or tweet!

We have many treats in store for us when F1 resumes for the second part of the season. I am obviously looking forward to all the races but the stand-out ones would have to be; Spa, Monza, Singapore, Japan, THE USA (can not wait!), India and Brazil! Oh wait, that was nearly all of them... 

Aqsa, @aqsasformula



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...